Favorites | December 2015
I’m sure this is true of a lot of people, but December was a busy busy month this year! It always feels like every year there are more things to do and people to see, and it just becomes a mish-mash of exhaustion and joy.
It’s always a fun time though, and this December was no exception – I had a lot of things on my favorites list to share with y’all, but I’ve pared it down to just these few things:
- NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Rikugien. I received this lip stick as part of the Sephora birthday gift in late November (btw, I hate that they announce the gift in January and then I have to wait practically all year to pick mine up!), and I cannot stop wearing it. It’s a very neutral shade on me – similar to my natural lip color, with a hint more plum and gloss to it. I know December is prime red lip season, but I am not feeling the high maintenance look these days. Rikugien is just the perfect color!
- Minimalism. This whole month, I’ve been seeking out books and videos about leading a minimalist lifestyle. I’ve been feeling overwhelmed by the volume of stuff my household has accumulated over the years, particularly with a potentially trans-continental move on the horizon, and the idea of paring back on only the things we need and love has been very appealing. Of course, going minimalist doesn’t pare well with the excess of the holiday season, but I think that the new year is going to see quite a bit of decluttering and clearing out.
- Amazon Prime Music. With the cooler weather (although not that cold in the Mid-Atlantic yet this year) I have been spending a lot more time in the house. To kick off the holiday season, I started cranking every Amazon Prime Holiday playlist I could find. Blasting Trans-Siberian Orchestra is enough to put even the grinchiest person into the holiday spirit. Seriously easy to find a good mix on there, and it plays nice with our speakers (an Amazon Echo).
- Crock pot stew. Something about a slow cooker has been growing on me over the past year. I am doing more slow cooker meals, particularly in the colder months. This December I think I made a slow cooker beef stew at least three times – a feat, given that each batch lasts at least two or three days in our household. I modify the recipe based on what we have in the pantry, but the bulk of my recipe can be found here.
- Eddie Bauer plaid shirts. My husband and I exchange holiday gifts on Saint Nicholas Day in early December, and his gift to me this year included two flannel shirts from Eddie Bauer. I have been wanting some more plaid in my life, and these have the perfect fit and thickness to wear alone or layer with long sleeve t-shirts or sweaters (Hint – if you buy online from the Eddie Bauer site using an Ebates account, you can get 3% cash back, which is always nice).
What have you been loving this month? I would love to hear your recommendations!
Catch up on our past monthly favorites here!